I’m delighted to launch the second season of Explore Explain, a long-form video and podcast series about data visualisation design.
For episode one it was a pleasure to welcome Anna Wiederkehr, Senior Visual Journalist at FiveThirtyEight, based in the US. We had a detailed conversation about the design story behind the flagship visualisation work produced by FiveThirtyEight for the ‘US Election Forecast‘, which was first published in August 2020.
To find out more information about how to listen, view and subscribe to the audio and video versions of this episode, and to view the full list episodes, visit the podcast page.
You can watch this episode on the dedicated Explore Explain Youtube channel or through using the embedded player below.
The audio podcast is published across all common platforms (such as Apple, Acast, Spotify etc.), which means you will find this series listed in the respective directories through a simple search for ‘Explore Explain’.
You can directly reach the podcast on ANY platform by manually adding this url – https://feed.pod.co/exploreexplain – or by clicking this link if you’re reading this on a phone browser.
Here are further links to some of the key resources mentioned during this episode:
- FiveThirtyEight’s ‘US Election 2020 Forecast‘
- Anna’s write-up – ‘How We Designed The Look Of Our 2020 Forecast‘
- Anna’s twitter thread which talks more about the design ideas/development
- FiveThirtyEight’s Coronavirus coverage
- Christopher Groskopf’s Twitter thread publicly launching the forecast
- FiveThirtyEight’s ‘Explore The Ways Trump Or Biden Could Win The Election‘